Watch TV with your kids – Hairspray 1988

rickishadenough

Do you have 57 channels without anything to watch with your kids? Here is the perfect movie.

As you know our family watch a lot of TV and sometimes we watch it together. Viola and I are usually the ones who do.
There are a few oldies that we go back to often. Hairspray (1988) is one of them.

John Waters Hairspray contains lots of wonderful things for the child’s eye to see. Like Ricki Lake dancing and her character Tracy Turnblad´s loving parents Edna and Wilbur. The line dancing and the big hair of course. You are also left with a warm feeling that if you´re only brave enough you can fight and win to  make the world a better place.

It´s Baltimore in the 60´s. The Corny Collins Tv show is the hottest place to be. And the heroes of the movie demands an integrated dance floor. While the stuck up upper class like Von Tussle want no change at all- They only want skinny white teens like their daughter Amber on the Corny Collins Tv show.

rikisparensBONUS: Tracy´s parents are nothing but fantastic.
Divine´s character Edna says things like “She´s all peroxided up” about Tracy´s bleached hair. And “This better be good, broad daylight and I´m sitting in front of the TV” when forced to watch the dance show.

I can´t decide if I like Jerry Stiller best as Tracy´s or George Costanza´s dad.

And to all you home interior oriented bitches out there this movie has something for you too. The home decor´s fab.

The von Tussle fmaily sure are terrible people but they have the coolest house.
Check out Amber’s room below. It´s got pink wallpaper, poodles and a vanity table.

Viola and I act out the scene above often. “Faster faster ” I scream, clapping. And I promise Viola knows all the moves.

pen-mustachViola and I in our John Waters pencil mustaches

The trailer!

More “Watch TV with your kids” by Jenny here:

Tom & Jerry
Släpp Fångarna Loss Det Är Vår
Kullamannen

, ,

11 Responses to Watch TV with your kids – Hairspray 1988

1. kollijox January 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

tack för påminnelsen, den måste vi se helt enkelt. I går visade jag svartvita avsnitt ur serien the Adams family. Många skratt blev det!

2. jill January 22, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

John Waters is brilliant. He has a crazy Tudor-style house in Baltimore. He grew up near it and was afraid of it as a child so he bought it as an adult.

Check out this tour, you will appreciate it. I see some similarities in the two of you, and I mean that in the best possible way!:

• Jenny Brandt January 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

Jill!

That might be the nicest thing anyone has ever told me.

I love the tour from rookie.
      I would love to visit Baltimore one day.

Someone told me he gets his fan mail at the atomic books in Baltimore. I think I’m going to send him a card.

3. Peter Huntley January 23, 2014 at 5:40 am #

What a cool mom! Your daughter will have to be a little older to watch John’s earlier stuff huh :-)

• Jenny Brandt January 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

Peter!
      you are so right. Pink flamingos … well you are never old enough for that one. ha!

4. Camilla January 23, 2014 at 10:26 am #

We watch Pink Panther(cartoons)! We have two kids, 5 and 3 1/2 years old and they love the Panther.

• Jenny Brandt January 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

ooo good one! i just to watch that as a kid. must look it up! thanks

5. Pysselbolaget January 24, 2014 at 10:41 am #

Mina nördiga små älskar Hairspray, men vi har bara sett den senare varianten där John Travolta spelar rollen som mamman.

• Jenny Brandt January 27, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

jag har inte sett den. den är säkert bra med.
      men divine är är svårslagen som öm moder =)

6. lindsay February 1, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

OH! This is a favorite at our house! We watch it every time it’s on!!!