DIY Garden Blanket

I have been wanting nice simple blankets to have for the summer season.
For the front yardt of our summer house, maybe to bring to a picnic or to the beach.
Big enough for the whole clan but easy enough to be able to bring it along on adventures!

They are 150x150cm.
So I made the back out of black and white dotted oilcloth
(the same as for the Stokke chair cushions) from Ikea.
Since I don’t really know if it washable (I realised it to late)
I would recomend to make it white some you know you can wash.

(Ok, I couldn’t fint the oil cloth at Ikeas homepage but one of our readers did (thank you!)
The fabric is  called Lialotta and supposedly washable in 40 degrees.
The thing is that I made another pacifier string to Beppe with some leftover oil cloth and
it just happened to get washed by accident
- I found that a lot of the black color dissapeared in the wash.
But lets cross fingers that it will not with this blanket!)

The fabric on top is made by Lotta Khulhorn for Ikea (fabric is called Malena – very cheap).

I made it as a classic bed sheet so you can tke out the blanket inside and wash the sheet.
It ws cheaper to buy two of Ikeas blankets as a filling blanket then to buy cotton wool/wadding!

img_1938

img_1921

img_1895 img_1917

img_19311

img_1880

17 Responses to DIY Garden Blanket

1. Mariette June 21, 2010 at 10:01 am #

Very nice! If it is Lialotta oil cloth /vävplast you can wash it in 40°C (IKEA:s homepage).

2. Marjolijn June 21, 2010 at 10:43 am #

I´m impressed by your fantastic garden! Very nice idea, these blankets!
    Best regards, Marjolijn

3. Colleen June 21, 2010 at 11:47 am #

What a fantastic idea. The blankets are beautiful and I love your fabric choices.

4. lilla u June 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

WOW! Helschyssta!

5. Carmel June 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

I love it! It is absolutely gorgeous. Good for you! Baby looks so comfortable. Wonderful.

6. karen June 22, 2010 at 3:15 am #

Yes, the gorgeous weathered timber and the garden almost steal the show from the great blanket!

7. Elisabeth June 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

Summer + garden + picknic
    = fantastic.

I like you blog!

8. kattching June 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

snyggt!
    kom gärna in på min blogg och tävla om du/ni har lust! I potten står en tryckt illustration!
    /hanna

9. Ransacked Goods June 24, 2010 at 4:18 am #

Brilliant, I love it. I don’t think I’ve seen that lovely fabric at our Ikea but I’ll keep my eyes open. Thanks for the great idea!

10. Tracey July 7, 2010 at 10:20 am #

Just bought the spot fabric as a tablecloth! ( and linked to your blanket.) x

11. Emilia April 14, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Det där med att sy…snart finns det inga ursäkter. Jag måste lära mig! (Att ha tålamod tex)

Jenny: Så känner jag med. Har dåligt tålamod. Sticka går lite bättre. men det kanske du redan kan

12. Christina June 10, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

hehe, funny, I made the same thing with the same dark blue ikea oilcloth and an old blanket last year!! :o)

lg, Christina

ps. I found your blog some days ago an I LOVE IT!!!!!

13. Megan Jones November 27, 2012 at 1:01 am #

I was just wondering what you stuffed the blanket with, if anything. Thank you! I love the idea, and it looks amazing!

1. Picknick! « Heddas blogg - June 29, 2010

[...] här är en annan picknicksfilt-love att göra själv (via DosFamily av kreativt kompetenta Isabelle McAllister, kolla in länken för fler [...]

2. Things to Write Home About | Feels Like Home - July 7, 2010

[...] Isabelle at Dos Family posted a very simple picnic/garden blanket [...]

3. Thursday Recycling-make a garden blanket | DosFamily - April 14, 2011

[...] the corner, that´s why I choose Isabelle´s DIY garden blanket for todays recycling. Wanna see it? Click here! [...]

4. Warm and Cozy DIY Blanket Round Up | My So Called Crafty Life - January 17, 2013

[...] Check out this fun DIY Garden Blanket by Dos Family Here [...]